Sunday, August 7, 2011

Tidbit for today: mercies and manna

Lamentations 3:22-23

King James Version (KJV)

 22It is of the LORD's mercies that we are not consumed, because his compassions fail not.
 23They are new every morning: great is thy faithfulness.

Are mercies (and compassion) like manna?  Sitting in Bible Study, this question sprang to my mind.  When the Children of Israel were wandering in the wilderness, God provided them with manna to eat.  Catch was, they had to collect it daily.  If they collected more than they could consume in one day, (with the exception of the sabbath, of course) it would mold.  Is this somehow symbolic... Must we daily gather the new mercies from God?  I like this thought.  I envision myself in a tent in the wilderness.  Every morning, I open my tent flap and there, on the ground lay mercies.  I gather what I need to sustain me, to carry me through another day.
This is not founded on deep and insightful research.  It's just a thought I had.  I know it could be argued that in Psalms it states "for his mercy endureth forever."  But just let me keep my thought.  I don't know about you, but I'm going to leave my tent and go collect my daily mercy.

1 comment:

  1. Very well said, I think to often we can take his mercy's for granted or can become selfish with them. He chooses to be merciful to us, he doesn't have to be, its not in is job description, he wants to and chooses to be and sometimes I think it gets abused, shows how patient he is too :) And yes his Mercy Endureth Forever but on the same note, he can cut off his mercies anytime he chooses :)

    ReplyDelete