Wednesday, January 25, 2012

School...

I used to like school... back when I was taking awesome classes like Math.  Stuff that made sense (and if you are me, you don't have to do the homework in order to get a good grade in the class... just take good notes and review them.)
Now, I have two classes: Chemistry(inorganic) and Biology(Majors Cellular).  I didn't ever realize that I didn't really like biology.  I thought of the two, I would like Biology better.  My chemistry class is one hour, four days a week, plus a two hour lab once a week.  My Biology class is three hours of lecture on Monday and one hour of lecture plus a two hour lab on Wednesday.  So, my school week goes like this: Monday: C- 1600-1700, B-1800-2100
Tuesday: C(lab) 1200-1400, C- 1600-1700
Wednesday: C- 1600-1700, B-1800-1900, B(lab)- 1900-2100
Thursday: C- 1600-1700
Thursday is my cake day.  The rest are BRUTAL.  Imagine sitting in a classroom for 3 consecutive hours, listening to a hurried lecture about cells, prokaryotes, eukaryotes, vesicles, DNA, amino acids, membranes, lysosomes, flagella... believe me, it makes me want to scream.  I take pages of notes and still miss about 30% of what is said. Imagine instead, sitting in a classroom, learning about elemental atoms and how they have these little guys that hang out in orbitals around a nucleus.  The little guys are called electrons and the elements always want to fill all their orbitals with these electron guys.  If they don't have enough on their own, they form alliances with other elements to fill their "valence" orbitals.  They can either share, give or take these valence electrons, depending on the other element and their polarity.  Imagine learning about all these crazy scientists that formed the theories about atoms and did numerous experiments to learn more about them.  Imagine rules, structure, straightforward, complex simplicity.
I'm not sure why, but I am really liking Chemistry and NOT Biology.
Both instructors are passionate.  Students in both classes are nice, well, I just talk to people regardless... :) Both instructors are reasonable.  
Perhaps it is my learning style.  Perhaps it is experience.  Perhaps I just need to buckle down and study more biology.  Perhaps it is sitting in a chair for three hours straight.  Whatever it is... this class is killing me.  However, Chemistry is looking good.

             

No comments:

Post a Comment