Saturday, June 23, 2012

Tiny Humans

Do you remember what it feels like to be a child?
I do...
I remember a million good things. Wonderful things.  Making mud pies, laughing, playing outside under the trees, learning, running, reading, multiplication tables, games, setting the table, going on vacation, being allowed to make choices, being hugged, being loved for my silliness, when my grandma bought me the dress I REALLY wanted, a silky nightgown, singing, jumping off a step stool, kittens, the tassels on the curtains that we were continually taking off when we weren't supposed to, sleeping in our new house for the first time, being excited, being nervous, being confused.
I also remember other times:
I also remember what it felt like when someone laughed at me, b/c I couldn't figure out a different door handle on a car and I was stuck inside.  I felt humiliated.
I remember what it felt like when an older cousin asked me what state I would want to live in and I said "West Germany" and they laughed at me because I didn't know the difference between a state and a country.
I remember when I was reading a book and a family member did the point and smirk "look at her pretending to read that book... no way she can read it."  but I could.  I was challenged and asked to read one word "kidnapped"... so I read the whole paragraph.
Each of these incidences happened between the time I was 4 & 7.
No one else probably remembers them, but I do.  To each person, they were just little daily happenings.  But they made me a little more wary.  Pay attention... every question is a trick.  Watch what everyone else is doing so you don't do the wrong thing and get laughed at.
See, I was used to being treated as a tiny human.  I was very blessed with parents that taught, listened and loved.
Please, remember that children are tiny humans.
They are not accessories to make you look good.
Tiny models for you to dress up and make into fashion statements.
They hear and see everything.
They have strengths and struggles.
They want* to be taught, hugged, loved.
They want* to feel secure.
They want* you to listen, explain, teach.
They want* to know Why? and How?
They want* to play and not worry.
They want* to explore.
They want* to be treated with respect, kindness and consideration.
They want* you to notice the things they do well.
They want* help with the things they find a struggle.
They want* to be silly and laugh.
They want* validation.
They want* to be able to depend on you.
They want* to be taught independence.
They want* to understand and be understood.
They want* you to be patient.
They want* to be reminded of how to act, not just scolded for forgetting.
They want* to be forgiven.
They want* to feel important.

You may think I don't know about children since I do not have children, but you must consider that I was once a child... and I remember.
If you do not remember what it was like, just think of how you like to be treated.
because, really, inside we are all still tiny humans.

*NEED

1 comment:

  1. Dacã te-ai sãturat de numãrul usilor care þi-au fost închise în fatã, înscrie-te la un curs calificare si asigurã-ti mãcar o usã deschisã. Datoritã programelor de formare pe care le derulãm, caltitatea unui curs calificare este la cel mai înalt nivel, garantându-ti performanþa si oferindu-ti cheia succesului. Alege varianta potrivitã tie si înscrie-te la un curs calificare Expert Training!

    ReplyDelete